I have this memory that I fantasize about constantly. It starts, like many tales you hear of restaurant dreams. It starts with this noodle place in London. You would queue up to order, then sit down at one of these long family tables and wait. The air was full of ginger and the aromas that come from homemade broth. You would sit waiting, salivating, anticipating what was to come…the Noodle Bowl. A bowl brimming with brothy, noodle goodness so fresh and fantastic you felt like you hadn’t lived until that very moment.
I have been dreaming about this noodle shop for years, but I finally ran into fresh rice noodles at Trader Joes. I don’t know why it never hit me…I could…wait…I couldn’t. Yes I could!! I could make my own noodle bowl! I could do it!!! So I bought the noodles, found in the prepared food refrigerated section of Trader Joes and went home to test my culinary skills. What I ended up with was nothing short of a miracle. It was… it. IT was the noodle bowl. I have now made it 5 times and I could barely wait to share it with my readers. It’s easy, it’s quick, it’s gluten free; it’s heaven in a bowl. So let’s just get right to it.
You will need:
- 6 cups homemade chicken broth – store bought will do in a pinch
- 2 Tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 package rice noodles – the Trader Joes brand comes with two in a package
- Shredded chicken reserved from your homemade broth or pre cooked
- Bock Choy – chopped
- Green onions – Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Gluten free Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon Asian spicy sauce (Sriracha)
- Place stock in a pot and add ginger and shredded chicken
- Bring to a boil
- While stock is coming to a boil, make sauce
- Mix equal parts Gluten free Soy Sauce, Sesame oil and hot sauce and mix
- Once stock has come to a boil add rice noodles and cook as directed on package
- 1 minute before the noodles finish, add bok choy and green onion
- Boil one minute more
- Ladle into bowls dividing evenly (or not J)
- Spoon in desired amount of sauce and serve.